(Click to change area.)
The First Experience of Democracy
In Athenian society in about 500 B.C.E., a form of democracy was established. In studying this democracy, students discover its major principles and the limits of this form of democracy.
The Democratic Experiment - Greeks - Ancient History - bbc.co.uk
- The ancient Greeks famously invented democracy. But what was Greek democracy actually like - and how was it different from the 21st-century kind? An article written by Professor Paul Cartledge.
Critics and Critiques of Ancient Athenian Democracy
- Among the enduring contributions of the Greek empire to Western society is the foundation of democratic society. But what did the development of Athenian democracy actually involve? An article written by Professor Paul Cartledge.
The Greeks - Crucible of Civilization
- Winged Sandals contains animated stories and interactive games and an online version of the Delphic Oracle all presented with a focus on entertaining and engaging a young audience.
• Plato’s Republic
• The Acropolis
19th-Century Photography of Ancient Greece
• The Pnyx hill
• The Marathon runner
Elsewhere: It is important for students to become aware of the diversity of political systems in the same period: Sparta or the Persian empire.
• The Polity of the Athenians and the Lacedaemonians(Xenophon)
• Mount Taygete
• History of the Peloponnesian War (Thucydides)
• Palaces at Suse and Persepolis
• Darius 1
• The mausoleum at Naqsh-i-Rustam